Nothing matches the convenience and ease of having a treadmill at your home, because these top-selling workout machines are all you’re going to need for burning up calories, raising heart rate and toning your muscles. However, positioning treadmills in a home gym demands much room, and it all comes down to identifying the perfect spot based on the machine’s sizes.
The average size of a treadmill is 2 to 3 feet wide and 5 to 6 feet in length. The floor space needed goes way beyond. By marking additional space on the sides, the front, and the rear, the required space goes up to 7 feet of width and 12 feet of length. Ceiling height is important, a total of 8 to 9 inches vertical space is optimum.
Treadmill Spacing Instructions
Stepping foot into the market without the right knowledge about treadmill spacing and proportions is a horrible decision. This is why, for your convenience, we have charted out the footage to position a treadmill without trying to shoehorn it in a tight place. Follow the basic instructions below when buying a treadmill machine that actually fits in your home gym, (for example treadmills that fold) and you’ll be able to carry out your routine workout with ease and style. Remember, it is best to measure twice in order to decide which treadmill is the best for your space.
New Treadmill Buying Guide
To make your investment in sporting goods profitable, please try to start by buying a treadmill product which is right in the first place. Decide on an airy and open room with minimum furniture that is suitable for not only placing your treadmill but also storing it in case of a folding treadmill deck. Keep a measuring tape in hand and measure the floor plan in your room. Accordingly, purchase treadmill machinery with similar proportions to provide little room for errors so that you don’t end up regretting your carelessness.
Search the internet for treadmills with optimum quality, engineering, and ergonomic design. If you’re short on space, consider buying a treadmill which is compact or portable, preferably with folding properties to accommodate the length, height, and width, so that the treadmill doesn’t fill up much of the room. We advise you to try a treadmill for 5-10 minutes before sealing your deal to ensure familiarity with the type of product you need for your fitness goals.
- This item benefits from an Extended 90 Day Return Window
- Bring Home Interactive Personal Training powered by iFit; 1-month individual membership included; Experience live, studio, and global workouts in the comfort of home; Trainers lead your exercise
- 10 % OneTouch incline control; 10 MPH SMART OneTouch speed control; With iFit, your trainer auto-adjusts your speed and incline through a smart Bluetooth connection
- SMART-Response Motor for effective speed, interval, and endurance training; 20” x 55” tread belt offers plenty of leg and elbow space as you run; FlexSelect deck cushioning protects your joints
- 【Heavy-Duty Steel Support Up To 300lbs】OMA treadmill is made of COMMERCIAL THICKNESS STEEL with grit blasting and passes thousands of running tests. We must make sure our treadmill is safe and durable for your daily home exercise.
- 【36 Preset Programs For Diverse Running】No need a fitness coach. OMA treadmills possess 36 PRESET PROGRAMS & 3 CUSTOM PROGRAMS. You can make plans for yourself and running at home. Track your Speed, Distance, Pulse, Time and Calories on the screens.
- 【Fast Control Handle For Easy Adjustment】You can press the BUTTON on the handle to start or stop at any moment and quickly adjust the speed up to 8.1 MPH (13 KM/H). Good for multiple running styles combining running & jogging & walking.
- 【6-layer Wider Running Belt Good For Knees】6-LAYER ELASTIC CUSHIONING BELT with a 16.5" wider running area is antislip and shock-absorbing, which is good to protect your knees. Designed with 3 MANUAL INCLINE POSITIONS.
New Treadmill Length and Size
Based on the area you’ve selected, sizing and measurements are crucial to ensure you’ve picked the right sporting goods product for yourself. Generally, treadmills are bulky and ginormous pieces of equipment weighing 300 lbs. Since they have to support arduous exercise by people of all age groups, you will see varying treadmill lengths and sizes, but the average parameters are 64 inches long and 28 inches wide. With a treadmill deck elevation of 5 feet from the ground, the height can differ based on the machine’s quality.
Treadmill Belt Length
Moving onwards to the length of the moving treadmill belt – this feature is all about your height and workout methodology. In case of paced walking or jogging, a shorter belt size will suffice, so 52 inches would get the job done. However, in the case of running and sprinting, the stride gets longer; hence, the treadmill belt should be elongated enough to prevent the foot from running out of space. A 54-inch belt can achieve this. As a rule of thumb, people with taller heights require an increased length of the treadmill belt because of a greater footstep during workout.
Folding Deck Type Treadmills
Seeing the huge demand for treadmills, the market is now overflowing with improved versions of treadmills. If limited space is the only reason you’re not buying a treadmill, it’s high time you reconsider your options. Particularly meant for space-saving, folding treadmill decks may give you extra room when the machinery is not in use. Although they occupy the same area, the folding property gives these treadmills an edge to be more compact and easy to use.
Along with being a massive relief for restricted spaces, a treadmill that folds are much easier to clean. Being propped up against the wall, a treadmill like this is easier to transport, offering convenient portability. One must check the treadmill running deck to make sure it’s cushioned properly and acts as a shock absorber with every footstrike.
Nonetheless, there are certain downsides to these kinds of treadmills. They tend to be less stable, less durable, and often feature shorter treadmill decks, so you need to be cautious of your preferences and needs before investing in such treadmill products.
Treadmill Spacing Guidelines
Setting up Space Around the Treadmill
To set up your personal treadmill or home gym, it is preferable to have enough space so that you may perform your workout routines without any hassle. A prime concern that goes unnoticed by most treadmill users is that the treadmill actually requires an additional 2 feet on the sides and around 5-6 feet at the rear end. Several reports about treadmill injuries surface the internet every now and then, and the majority of them are due to lack of space and size. Leaving free zones on all four sides of the treadmill machine is a major safety concern to protect you from any kind of damage or trauma during your weight loss project.
Two Feet at the Front End of the Treadmill
A major mistake often observed in gyms is the cramming of treadmills against the wall. Never do that because it adversely affects the longevity of a new treadmill. Keeping a safe distance from the wall will allow the treadmill machinery to dissipate heat and breathe out for operating suitably. With the proper airflow, no treadmill part heats up to the extent that it stops working and damages the equipment.
Two Feet at Either Side of the Treadmill
You should ensure a 2 feet distance on both treadmill sides so that the belt keeps running without any resistance. While running, one might often feel the need to roll off the machinery’s side for a quicker exit. Moreover, keeping the treadmill sides free and spacious gives the user an open approach to the treadmill from any side they please.
6 to 8 Feet at the Rear End of the Treadmill
Getting trapped on a treadmill may be one of the most horrifying and terrible experiences, especially when you’re out of breath and forced to run for the sake of not crashing in. This showcases the importance of leaving a substantial area towards the end of the treadmill. Make sure that there is no solid object at the rear to prevent getting slammed in the wall or falling over from the treadmill with no ground space. In addition to this, a free base gives one the freedom to perform variable treadmill exercises such as the walking plank, inclined pushups, reverse mountain climbers, etc.
8 to 9 Feet Vertical Height over the Treadmill
Workout rooms with low ceiling do not live up to the criterion of fitting in a treadmill because the safety of the skull and head cannot be neglected. While the treadmill deck is raised to around 4-5 feet from the ground, you’ll need to add in your height and an extra 1 to 2 feet for the headroom. This makes sure that taller people don’t bang their heads in the ceiling while running or lifting arms during exercise or workout on a treadmill.
Closing Thoughts About Treadmill Dimensions
- 【Space Saving Design】 Easy folding mechanism and soft drop system helps you unfold your treadmill safely and hands free.Folding size is 58.97"x 28.26"x 8.66" (L x W x H).
- 【Powerful& Comfortable】3.25 peak HP Moter provides speeds of 0.6-10 Mph which ensures the stable operation of the machine with 220 lbs weight capacity.
- 【Fitness Tracking Display】 This treadmill with LED displays provides better watching experience, it shows distance, speed, time,heart rae and calories burned.12 pre-set training programs designed to simulate natural terrain,let you enjoy your fun running time.
- 【Wider Multi-layer Tread Belt】This treadmill use the large Multi-layer Tread Belt , running belt width is 15.7”and length is 47.2" which support extra space for comfortable running, making running safer and more comfortable.
To bring out the best from your treadmill, it is imperative to allow ample space all around the running machine. This not only prevents head injuries, foot injuries, and getting trapped on the treadmill belt during running, but it also gives you an upper hand to challenge yourself with various treadmill workouts. A lot of people complain that these treadmill machines need and take up much space, but with the right parameters and clearance area, you’ll realize it’s all for your own safety and convenience.
Expansive areas with free space make the ideal choice for placing your treadmill. Keep in mind that these notorious machines for vigorous exercises actually require a treadmill area much greater than their own size. Make sure to look for and find an area of the exact sizes in your space, so that you don’t have to face any inconvenience while making a treadmill purchase to ensure your health and fitness.
I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website. Your purchase helps support my work in bringing you real information about health and holistic wellness.